What is Swedish Massage?
Swedish massage is invented and developed in Sweden by Henrik Ling. Henrik Ling cured his injured elbow by percussion (tapping) elbow. Later he developed a full-fledged technique called Swedish massage. It is popularly adopted in the United States because of its benefit.
The superficial layer of the muscles is triggered and manipulated by the extensive use of hands, forearms or elbows. The joints movement is also part of the massage. Swedish massage is intended to cure various physical and mental ailments as well as to increase the relaxations.
How is Swedish Massage done?
There are specific techniques developed and traditionally used in the Swedish massage process. It involves the application percussion (tapping) in a particular specialized manner on the soft tissues of the body. Frictions, long gliding strokes, kneading, joints movement are an essential and integral part of the process.
The recipient receives this massage by lying on a massage table. He or She is draped with a towel or a massage sheet. It is a kind of full-body massage where every part of the body is addressed. Both aromatic or unscented oil /lotion is used to facilitate the movements during the process. Each session may last for 30-60 minutes per turn, including the technique of tapping friction and vibration. It may also include effleurage and petrissage.
Benefits of Swedish Massage
Massage therapies are relatively safe, with many physical and mental benefits. The reported benefits are observed and listed below.
- Tight muscles are loosened, and connective tissues are stretched
- It works on muscle fatigue relieving cramps and spasms.
- Works on joint stiffness and improves motion in it.
- Increasing muscle strength, firms up the muscle, Increases skin tone
- Deals with chronic & acute pain, myofascial pain, arthritis, and joint dysfunction
- Stimulating blood circulation, lymphatic drainage works on a disorder like asthma
- Calming the nervous system, and headache, mental relaxation from stress and anxiety
- Increased concentration, sense of wellbeing and improved quality in sleep
Limitations and Side-effects
Swedish massage should not be allowed to the patients with the following physical disorders or conditions:
- Fever, jaundice, nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea, contagious diseases are common complications. Still, this massage has to be avoided in its severe conditions.
- High blood pressure or heart problems
- Inflamed and swollen body, recent surgery, varicose veins, severe pains, frostbite
- Unhealed sores /wound, broken bones, fractures, dislocations, or severe sprains
- Kidney disease, large hernia, haemorrhaging, history of phlebitis or thrombosis, drug treatment with blood thinners.
- Torn ligaments, tendons, or muscles and certain kinds of cancer
There may be side effects with an intense massage. It may increase the risk of injury to the body in a few cases. Before the vigorous massage procedures, please let us know the specific medical condition and history. The side effect may associate with muscle pain. It can cause bleeding in the liver or other vital organs if they are in damaged condition, leading to blood clotting.
How to Book a Swedish Massage in Delhi?
Few clients may feel uncomfortable with various aspects of the massage. A brief explanation session is given at our Spa before they undergo massage therapy. Swedish massage is more prevalent in gaining medical acceptance as a complementary treatment. We do this massage procedure as medical treatment. It relaxes the body, decreases blood pressure and heart rate, and reduces stress and depression. It may also provide symptomatic relief to our clients in the case of many chronic diseases. We handle many doctors prescribed patients. They come for their headache, facial pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, etc. We deal with many chronic and acute conditions strain and athletic injuries also. One can consult our massage therapist, or they can attend the educational session before undergoing the massage.